View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchtopLover View Post
Great work. Keep going!

One thing I have had difficulty in the past is applying the glue to a loose brace and also to the place where the brace is clamped (buttering both sides), without getting glue smudges and smears on the soundhole or somewhere else inside the guitar, unintentionally, while trying to place the brace in the proper position, to be clamped.

So, one day I came up with an idea that I would like share on this thread, since the idea can help others when replacing loose braces. To prevent the still wet glue from being disturbed, before clamp-up, do this:

Begin by cleaning off all old glue and sand lightly to expose some bare wood. Then, using a piece of low-tack masking tape, apply the tape to the back-side of the brace, or the side of the brace that is facing the tail-block. The tape should be half-on and half-off, since what you are creating is a "hinge". By folding the tape in half, you can then slip the brace, with the tape applied, inside the guitar, position the brace in the desired spot, unfold the tape and gently press the tape to hold the brace in place. Next, simply tip the brace over, toward the tail-block, thereby exposing both glueing surfaces. Because you made a temporary hinge, you can then apply glue to the underside of the brace and the back of the guitar with a small artist paint brush.

Here is the beauty of this idea; once the glue is applied, you simply tip the brace back up into the upright position, install your clamps, apply pressure, let the glue dry, remove the masking tape and bingo, no messy glue smudges to cleanup afterwards .

Let me know what you think of this technique (I should do a mock-up, take and post some photos).
I like that idea! I don't have low tack masking tape...is it absolutely necessary for this? I've seen it used in other repairs so I suppose I should just get some. Some pics would be great but I also think I get what you are describing here without pics.