Thread: Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 PM

I just ordered an Ear Trumpet Edwina condenser mike for vocals, to be used with a Fishman SA220 stick amp (I have been using a Shure SM58 like everybody else). Ear Trumpet says the vocal sweet spot for that mike is six inches away (assuming the guitar has its own mike or pickup, which should mean (I hope) that I can keep the gain low enough that feedback will not be a problem. The guitar will be coming through an Edwina-trained Tonedexter, and so far I have had no feedback problems with that. I may have to tweak that SA220 in terms of position but I hope the setup will perform. I also have one of those little Bernenger monitors which I have on a stand behind the mike and over the mixer, but it's level is pretty low because it is so close.

And I also think we are way past the point in thinking of guitars as having lost their virginity when they have a pickup installed. With all of the sophisticated pre-amps available now (especially the Tonedexter) I don't think there is any reason not to install one. You can even use the little 1/8th inch "vintage" endpin connectors if you don't want to alter the endpin hole. If you have a pre-war guitar, I can promise you that it has gone through a lot more in its life than a little git of superglue, IMHO.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter