View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 05:13 PM
RednekHippieMotrcycleFrk

Default capo transposing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue Army
I've got a qu? on this theme .If i have my capo on the 2nd fret and play say a D shape chord ? How do I know what chord that really is ? I guess its "transposing" the chord , but is there an idiots guide/rule to work out what chord it is ?
It's a matter of knowing what the root is. If you are playing a D shape, then the D string (standard tuning) will tell you the chord it actually is by finding the note that is being fretted by the root (D string). A "D" shape with no capo produces a D chord because the root D (4th string) is a D note. So, if you play a D shape capoed at the second fret, the D string is fretted (capoed) at E, so it is an E chord. Likewise, if you capo at the third fret and play a D shape, the root is at F so it is an F chord. The same analogy can be applied to any chord at any capo position as long as you are able to determine the root. More simply, an E chord shape with no capo is an E chord because the root on the 6th string is an E. If you capo at the first fret and play an E chord, the root is now at F, so you have an F chord. With this chord shape you can march right up the fret board to F#, G, G#, A, etc. Hope this long winded explanation helps.