View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
Simon, that looks great. I cannot wait to hear it! Congratulations on your new adventure.
Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
That guitar looks great, lots of potential there, looking forward to seeing where you go and hearing that guitar.
Actually, I am on my way to a friends studio right now for a chat and hopefully a few recordings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
So, a couple things:

1 - I think it looks fantastic. I love the double and asymmetric sound holes.

2 - not sure what the lower bout width is, looks about 14"? 00 or double-aught size as we would say.

3 - 12" radius kills any interest for me, but since almost everything else in the market uses a 16" (or 20" for Rainsong) having a tight radius is probably wise as a market differentiator. Certainly some people like it, or Gibson wouldn't keep using it.

4 - While it does not show up on camera, a clear coat, or tinted clearcoat showing the carbon weave will be far more popular than a solid paint job.

Edit to add:

5 - I think there is a good market for a CF tenor uke. So after the guitar business gets going, go back and refine the uke as well.
Thanks so much for your constructive comments.

Lower bout width is 335mm, so around 13 inches.

Personally, I like a chunky, rounded C neck, vintage style neck and when I was designing this I referenced (and played) a lot of parlour style guitars; at the time I felt it fitted the style of the instrument I was after; along side the fretboard radius. The radius itself can be changed to suit with an insert in the mould (however I'm yet to try this). However, my mould is also somewhat modular and I may change to a more common neck profile in the future.

I will likely do my next guitar in clear (black carbon). This one was just my own preference as I intended on having this as my personal instrument. There's also something fun about handing it to someone new, and watch the thought process of them seeing the carbon neck, then the carbon bridge, and then looking in the sound-holes and saying something along the lines of "this guitar has no wood!".

I'm yet to decide a range of options/levels of finish; but for certain there will be carbon finishes.

I agree on the Tenor uke! I especially would love an 8 string tenor uke; however it takes almost the same amount of time and effort and only a little less materials to make a uke vs a guitar. When I last weighed up the options, it would be incredible difficult for me to price that competitively at low volume. Perhaps with enough interest its something i can look into in the future (economy of scale really helps when it comes to purchasing the raw materials).

I actually have designs for 5 other instruments; 2 of which are ukuleles. Maybe in the future if people like my work and are confident to pre-order, I can make the investment into the tooling

Thanks again everyone for your kind words, comments and suggestions. I welcome all your feedback.

At the moment I'm looking at case options/gig bags. Whilst id like to offer both, what do you guys prefer? Are there any specific brands or suppliers you think I should check out?

If you haven't already, you can sign up to my news letter or follow my socials here on my website.