View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 01:32 PM

In my immediate family only my brother played guitar (but only for few years, and he was rudimentary at best playingwise, since he only played sporadically), and he hasn't done so in decades.

In my extended family:

Grandpa - played guitar in dance bands, until at least the 1950s, and was a luthier. He repaired acoustics and archtops, and made acoustic guitars. He made me my first guitar, when I was 6 years old (though I didn't get serious about guitar playing until I was 15).

My Uncle (my dad's youngest brother) - he played for a long time (and grandpa the luthier, even insisted that he take classical guitar lessons, when he was young). Like me, my uncle used to play guitar in bands. He doesn't play much if at all anymore, due his business (he does multi-media training) taking up most of his time. The fact that I recently saw a YouTube video of my cousin (his youngest son) playing my uncle's 70s era Ibanez NW40 (complete with a maple fingerboard!), that my uncle had played since he was in the Air Force in the 70s, pretty much tells me my Uncle has quit playing.

My Cousin - my uncle the guitar player, taught both of his sons how to play guitar. His youngest son is the only one playing at the present time. He's kind of a coffeehouse chord chunker (chinga chinga chinga). He's full of himself - I'm not impressed (I think I play better than my cousin even on a bad day )

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 02-20-2020 at 01:40 PM.