View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 02:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Shadd View Post
Against my better judgement, I will wade into this thread. I know Matthew, spoke with him about this patent some time ago. And Matthew does not do social media, so he isn't going to be on here to defend himself nor bash anyone.

Contrary to what some seem to believe, he is not making millions on his guitar picks. The material used is incredibly expensive. He spent time, money, and effort in R&D for the BC picks before they ever hit the market. As much as I can appreciate a free market, I also think a man should have the ability to protect and preserve what work he has put into a product. I do not agree that someone else should just be able to look at that product and whatever success it has achieved, and decide they should just be entitled to have a piece of that pie. Matthew is only trying to protect the work he has put into it.
Folks, I generally want to stay out of the way in this thread, as I'd prefer everyone to have a free hand in sharing their opinion openly.

However, I wanted to briefly comment on Allen's post.

Allen, I concur 100% with what you're saying here. As the only other company in the marketplace who has worked extensively with this material, I can confirm that BC is likely just squeaking by on their margins. To the best of my knowledge, DuPont Vespel is the single most expensive industrial plastic in the industry. It's absurb. And it's no picnic to machine, either.

Blue Chip has earned the legal right to protect their enterprise from competition. I'd be doing the same thing if our positions were reversed. No, they are not getting rich with that stuff, not at those prices. And I actually think this patent is good for all the high-end pick manufacturers, as it proves that what we're marketing is scientifically valid and demonstrably superior.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

scott