View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 03:01 PM

Default NGD: Beneteau 0-12

Admiring various build threads in the Custom Forum often inspires me to research those luthiers and may very well result in me having to work until I'm ninety because there are so many I'd love to own.

Drooling over Dustin Furlow's Beneteau build thread (fanfret Italian spruce/African Blackwood) ultimately led to me discovering a very nice 2014 Marc Beneteau 0-12 that Artisan Guitars had in stock.

I'm not much of a player so for me, appreciating the beauty of an instrument, its tone, aesthetics and build execution is as much a part of the experience as being able to play. While I tend to like guitars with more figured woods, this one captivated me. I kept going back to looking at it and listening to the sound sample.

I was a little nervous about this because of its 25.4" scale and 1 13/16 nut width. So far, I *generally* prefer 24.9" and shorter with 1 7/8" nut width. Now, I understand there are many other factors but, generally speaking, I tend to be comfortable with guitars that have those dimensions and the further I move off them, the less success I seem to have bonding with an instrument. And since I was buying online, it was shockingly difficult to judge playability. ;-)

However, I thought the price was attractive enough that there wasn't a ton of downside if I didn't bond with it or whenever it may be time to move it along. BTW, Artisan Guitars were an absolute pleasure. I highly recommend them. I had them hold the guitar over the holidays and just recently took delivery.

It's beautifully executed, both aesthetically and in build details. Marc's 40 years of expertise and reputation as a highly regarded builder really shines through. I am certainly very happy with this find and so I am able to forgive Dustin for causing me to spend money I didn't really *need* to spend.

I tend to like more highly figured woods than what's featured here, but it all comes together quite nicely. I really like his elegant headstock shape and the Gotoh 510's fit nicely here.

The cross-silking in the Sitka spruce top is pretty remarkable. The BRW rosette, binding and headstock overlays add a little "sumpin', sumpin'" to the package. The mahogany is attractive, if not a little understated.

The D-shaped neck on this Beneteau is really something. Everything else I've owned has been V, Mod-V or C. I absolutely love this neck and find it very, very comfortable. The longer scale is hardly discernible. So, both "worries" are crossed off.

I am impressed with the tone. While it's strong in the mid-range, the tone is well-rounded. Its bass is surprising and its highs strong.

Attached are a couple of pics because I know it didn't happen unless there are pics. Also, here is a link to the online photos and sound sample as posted by Artisan Guitars:

https://artisanguitars.com/beneteau-...-2014-id-11753

Specs:
Top Wood: Sitka Spruce
Back Wood: Mahogany
Scale: 25.4"
Nut Width: 1 13/16"
Setup High E: 1.5/32"
Setup Low E: 2/32"
Gloss Finish
Serial Number: 040314
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Fretboard: Ebony
Bridge: Brazilian Rosewood
Bracing: Hand Scalloped Braces
Headstock Overlay: Brazilian Rosewood
Tuners: Black Chrome Gotoh 510
Rosette: Brazilian Rosewood
Body Binding: Brazilian Rosewood
Fretboard Binding: None
Headstock Binding: None
Pickguard: None
Nut Material: Bone
Saddle Material: Bone
Saddle Spacing: 2 5/16"
Bridge Pins: Ebony
Neck Profile: D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200115_093947.jpg (29.5 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg 20200115_094009.jpg (33.4 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg 20200115_094253.jpg (34.9 KB, 270 views)