View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 09:30 AM

Default $100 monitor / headphone options?

First off, I know this is an insanely low budget but I just don't feel like spending more on this at the moment.

I currently record in an untreated spare bedroom and "officially" only make recordings to track my progress, not to publish. Having said that, I notice a huge difference in what my recordings sound like through my crappy computer speakers and/or $20 headphones and what they sound like through a real stereo or even car stereo. It's mostly the eq that I'm looking to improve here. I think I could significantly improve the quality of my mixes if I could hear how screwy the eq is without running around to the car, the stereo, whatever.

At this point, I'm really only willing to throw about $100 at this. If I can't get a decent set of speakers or headphones for that amount, I'll just stick to what I have and just keep learning. After all, I don't need better recordings, I just want a bit of improvement.

FYI, I put headphones as an option here because we are planning to redo that room and I'm not sure about what acoustic treatments I'll be able to do.

Thoughts? Is it even worth it?