View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 03:03 AM

Default "Safe" to Single-String Solo in Solo Fingerstyle?

As a sort of follow up to my inquiry about extemporizing in solo fingerstyle:

I was listening to a youtube of Duck Baker playing the old swing number, "For Dancers Only" (may have linked to it here at some time), and noticed that he incorporates a couple of single-string solos into the very informal performance. Though, as anyone familiar with Duck's style knows, he generally keeps everything going at once and at least sketches in the bass line when soloing, he makes no attempt to in this case. Anyone who is acquainted with jazz/swing, this particular piece, or is a competent guitarist would know what's going on chordally when he takes off single-stringedly, but I suspect some of the non-players would get lost while listening. 30+ years into the game, I'm trying to make fingerstyle my main thing, as I like its self-containedness. I'm a little unorthodox, perhaps, in not liking to do much more than insert the odd bass note when I think it's important -- I prefer to add some of my chord-melody technique to make the harmonic structure apparent behind the melody. How many fingerstylists out there do as I described in the Duck performance, and just toss in a purely single-string solo with no bass or chordal support? Do you think the non-guitarists get lost as they listen? Do you care if they do? When I'm practicing a piece, I frequently throw in some single-string work but, then, I know what I'm playing.

Thoughts, fingerstylists?

Last edited by Stringin Swing; 11-28-2010 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Hit "Enter" by Mistake