View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 AM

Thanks Mike A and TBman, I'm kinda stuck right now in the finishing stage. I evidently know less about finishing that I thought. Which wasn't much in the first place. Last night, I got pretty agressive with "levelling" the surface. Prior to that I would just brush off the little nibs and then put on another coat.
But I finally saw small peaks and valleys and decided to scrub a bit harder. Used 320, 400, and 600 grit working with the grain. I was looking for a dull finish across the entire surface.
Ended up with some shiny spots still on each surface, but made great progress. Also, my pore filling was not adequate, and I saw small "dots" or maybe they're "fisheyes" that people refer to. They are pretty evident on the sides now, where before there were a lot of them on the back. I only used 600 on the sides last nite, will use 320, 400, 600 tonite to get it to match up with the back.
Should only be a few more coats this weekend, then I'll let it cure and start polishing next weekend.
No pics to show right now, as the last pic is about as far as I've got.
I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and good words. It makes me want to keep going and get this finished. I tap the top from time to time. It has a kinda bass sound to it, and a bit of sustain or ringing. I'm hoping that's a good sound to have.
Bob