Thread: Bb2 chord
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 08:27 AM

Brian,

I largely agree with you that the more consistent and accurate people are in their naming of chords, the better we communicate with each other, making it easier for all. There really is a right and wrong to things.

At the same time, when errors become standard, then it behooves a person to know how those errors are being incorporated into attempts at musical communication. I do agree that the more comprehensive one's education, the better one can interpret intention, no matter how well or poorly it is expressed. I would never argue against a proper and full musical education.

"He don't got not money." Technically this means that he does have money, but isn't it useful to have a grasp of incorrect grammar in order to realize that the speaker is intending to say that he has no money? Is there a parallel here or is this a false analogy?

I'm not advocating that everyone should abandon good grammar because some do, nor that proper naming of chords is a useless endeavor; in fact, I think it's very important--just that understanding common mistakes might be vital to understanding the everyday musicians around you.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC