View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Thanks but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
I think I'm slightly leaning towards the Wenge from the pictures only which is very superficial indeed! I like them both, the Wenge seems slightly less self important, as though it could be morphed into a regular model by De Mcilroy... The fancier model would win out though if the hands and ears dictated it! Certainly not a decision to be made in haste..
Unfortunately (or fortunately), aesthetically, I like them both. Kent and I worked closely on both takes on the design movement. I wish I could tell you that one guitar was clearly better than the other but that is just not the case.

Both guitars exhibit evenness in sound when open C, A, G, E and D chords are arpeggiated. Both guitars have evenness in timbre, decay and sustain when I play a movable 4-note chord forms up and down the fingerboard (e.g. C7 at the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 10th and 13th frets).

One thing that I have noticed in the decay of the sustaining notes between them is that while No. 99 (Wenge) has slightly longer sustain, the tonic fades somewhat faster and high frequency shimmer sustains beyond. No. 100's (BRW) sustain characteristics, while slightly shorter overall has longer tonic sustain with a blooming "ring" harmonics that develop as it decays.