View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 08:05 PM

Default Royalties for Contributing on an Album

I've been on 3 locally produced albums as a mandolin and fiddle player. These have been with friends and band members. Aside from credits on the liner notes and playing on the songs, that's my total involvement. I might have got a few beers or meals out of these deals.

Now I'm working on an album with a more successful regional singer-songwriter. I think he has a real gift for writing and I really like his songs and lyrics. He's had some success as an opening act for the as-yet-unproven grandkids of Lorretta Lynn and Conway Twitty. His music is registered with BMI (or maybe ASCAP?) He's on Apple music and Spotify.

Today he suggested I look into registering with some organization so I can get a percentage of the album sales when its released. I'm not in the AFM and I have not written, much less published, any songs. He wants to give me 10% and the recording engineer 10%.

Any advice for a very occasional studio player? Is this like the AFM where I pay $150 annually to get a couple fractional cents per song play? Thanks.