View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Greetings fellow guitarists!

I'm a long-time player but have never ventured into the world of amplification/microphones. A couple of years ago I bought the Apogee ONE product for use with my Mac/iPad, and it sits in its box today. Ventures into Garageband and iMovie have produced disappointing results. And I thought perhaps I just didn't need to go down that path.

Until now.

The venue I've been playing live last night decided to "go dark" for the unforeseeable future because of COVID. They have decided to move to Zoom and/or YouTube. If I want to join them, I will now have to be able to play with sufficient quality to be listenable. I doubt I will ever move into recording (but never say never...).

The sheer immensity of information regarding microphones and sound technology always sends me shuddering away. How can one possibly choose? Especially in this day and age of "doing everything at home?"

Can I just get a single microphone that I can plug into my MacBook Pro (I guess that means USB) and project my guitar and voice over the ether? And nothing TOO expensive (<US$350). Including boom or stand.

LDC, SDC, dynamic, cardioid, and such just start making my eyes cross. I don't want another degree, I just want a mic!

Am I asking too much?
In reverse order

Am I asking too much? the truthful answer is = Absolutely not, Maybe, Maybe not, and Definitely yes...

It depends entirely on how (You) approach it

Absolutely not : literally thousands of people get into the world of home recording every year (which is essentially what we are talking about for a music performance in a Zoom meeting) .

Maybe, Maybe not : Only you can determine the amount of effort you are willing to commit to learning the basics

Definitely yes : if you mistakenly cling to this notion and can't change this perspective "I don't want another degree, I just want a mic!"

To be brutally honest :::If your not willing to take the time and make the effort to get at least lets call it "a grade school level education in recording, mics and amplification" then most likely your experience in participating as a performer in a Zoom meeting will be as disappointing as your GB and iMovie experience .

With all that said IMO learning to record yields benefits beyond just learning recording, it can be especially beneficial in becoming better at playing.

Me ? I would just use the Apogee One. It already is an onboard mic AND has better conversion and mic pre's than a cheap USB mic
Start with the onboard mic and see how it goes

Also it was not quite clear if have a Mac and an iPad or do you mean just an iPad ?

If you have a Mac computer I would use it . It will be easier to setup Zoom

Me , I would get the Apogee One Break Out Cable and then perhaps think about spending the rest of that $350 on an LDC condenser mic

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-22-2021 at 11:37 AM.