View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegsfngrpickn View Post
Understood. The dedication won't be an issue, and I'm ready for that next step with my right hand technique. The only thing I'm wondering about are fingernails. Are there any Flamenco players who use flesh? I'm a flesh fingerstyle player, have never used nails or a thumbpick. Or is that just not a thing?
If you can grow good nails, it gives a better sound. Certainly for flamenco, which often needs to be bright and loud, with a clear attack for fast passages.
Like TBMan says, the nails don't need to be long. Just 1-2mm beyond the flesh of the fingertip is plenty. The fingertip touches the string first and the nail picks it. (You can find plenty of tips online on nail care - and length and shape - for classical guitar.)

It's more of an issue with the thumbnail if you play in a more folk or blues style, wrist close to the guitar (or even resting on it). That's why some use a thumbpick, picking from the side of the thumb rather than the nail.
Personally I can still pick with my thumbnail from that angle, but it needs to be a little longer than the others. I have good strong nails though.