View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Well good luck on setting up your rig and I hope you find something that works for you, I just wanted you to have all the info about the Felix because I remember my frustration when I was in your situation!!!
Thanks - frustrated is the word - see the bottom of this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
Imo the stock GE-7 colors the sound and can be noisy. Get a modded one or do the mod yourself ... if you decide to get one.
Yep, tried a GE-7 yesterday - noisy and a bit 'grungy' sounding, not very clean at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
I had the Felix, it was cool. But eventually I wised up and realized that for $1000 I can have a used Helix... and it does WAY more. It allowed me to mix a dual sourced guitar (K&K + Anthem SL), all sorts of EQ, comp, reverb, mod, delay, does IR too. I run my electric through it as well as 3 different acoustics. And it does SO much more than I'm not even using. It's a dual processor, so I could also run a mic or other instrument through it at the same time.

I haven't looked back, Helix is the way to go if you can swing $1000.
the Helix is an amazing bit of gear for sure - I used to work for a shop when they first came out and the demo guy came round and showed them to us and my mind was completely blown! But for acoustic I only really need EQ and reverb, and for electric I have a small board (Keeley C2, TS808, Boss TU3, Strymon El Capistan) that does everything I need (and, to be honest, I often just go straight in to my amp!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
I have a Grace Design Felix and an Empress ParaEQ. The Empress is better at equalization and is a great addition to any rig. That being said, I don't use it much any more because the Felix EQ is good enough while provided a great input stage and other stuff you need.

I'm about to start playing with a ToneDexter (new shiny object.. teach me to read these forums). If it's as good as everyone says it may be worth running an output from a K&K equipped guitar to an A/B DI with whatever you're using for your others.
Interesting to hear that about the ParaEQ vs Felix...

Anyway, so I played out again last night and was fighting with a PA that was too loud for the room (and style of music) and there was some offending low end rumble going on - at one point I was tuned to open D and the f# string was being set off by something in the system and was droning out... I think f# is around 200hz, which is a frequency I've noticed is quite dominant in my direct recordings of the K&K.

After last night I started thinking again - what I need is a way to notch out something really bad, a way of combating excessive low end, and a sweepable mids to dial in the mid tone...

Which again is pointing me towards the Grace preamps isn't it?

I may have to eat my words and seriously look into one - although this started with the need for two EQ settings, I'm not sure I can justify the Felix (for starters I'd also need to look at a new pedal board if I wanted to incorporate my Bluesky into the mix as well), but I am looking at the Alix - as far as I can see this is basically a single channel Felix right?

Obviously the issue with the Alix is I can't switch EQs for guitars on the fly and if I start adding stuff you're getting towards Felix pricing anyway...

I think I need to have a serious think about how to move forward - one option is to simply return to using the Martin with the Anthem for potentially troublesome gigs and only take the Collings with the K&K out for those gigs which I think will have better sound - the problem there is you never know what the gig's going to throw at you regardless of how well you think it might go!