View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJack View Post
I've been more intentional about practicing finger style done the correct way. I'm talking John Prine style and blues, playing a melody while maintaining a steady bass. This is brutal. I keep reading things like, once it clicks, you got it. Well, for me it clicks, then it doesn't, then it does then it doesn't. I think I have some old bad habits that's hindering my progress.

Please share with me some encouraging tips. Best way to practice? a mental approach that helps you? I'm not using a thumb pick.

Thank you all
I was struggling to gain that independence of the thumb for a long time , but once I intentionally practiced only Travis picking, I eventually got it. I'm no professional now , but I have to agree that once it clicks , you'll have it.

Not sure if this will help you, but when it finally clicked for me, I was practicing a single C7 chord in first position and was just alternating the thumb from the A to the D to the E string as I plucked that chord (with ring finger hitting the third fret to get the G and C notes). Once I got the thumb pattern down I could then pay melody for songs like Freight Train. It's not easy!