View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Default D'Armond Tone Boss passive soundhole with Fire Eye Red Eye?

I have a gig next weekend - I haven't played a full gig in public since February 2020. And Covid has had me sell off a lot of unused gear - including a Baggs Venue DI which maybe I should have kept.

I currently have just two pre-amps: a Fire Eye Red Eye, and a X&K Pure beltclip pre-amp.

Anyways - I have two guitars, and I am trying to decide which one to gig. One is my new Epiphone Inspired By Gibson Hummingbird, which has a K&K installed. I suspect this will work well with my Fire Eye into a PA system. The other guitar plays like a dream, but has a D-Armond Tone Boss soundhole pickup.

While I suspect the D'Armond-equipped guitar WOULD HAVE sounded perfect with my old Baggs Venue DI (just as a Baggs M1 passive did at one point), I am wondering how it will do with a Fire Eye Red Eye preamp. I am also wondering how it might do with the K&K 9volt belt clip preamp.

Does anyone have any insight? I can't try it out with the PA beforehand. I would really prefer to use the D'Armond-equipped guitar, but will use the Epi if the consensus is that I am much more likely to make that work well.

EDITED - One last option I have... I do have an old Fishman Loudbox Mini. Maybe I could plug the D-Armond guitar into that, get gain and EQ, and then shoot out the back DI into the PA? More complicated - but I bet the sound would be good.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 05-07-2021 at 05:39 AM.