View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Sounds like you need something with a "warmer" tone than most typical archtops for vocal accompaniment purposes - and you don't have the bucks to afford a vintage 17"/18" non-cutaway instrument. That said, I'd recommend saving up some extra bucks and going for an Eastman AR610 non-cutaway; the mahogany sides and (carved) back give it a mellower/rounder and less incisive tone than a maple-bodied instrument, the 17" body shifts the fundamental into a lower range better-suited to vocal accompaniment than a 16" (or smaller) guitar, and strung with a set of Martin Monel MM13's it'll give you a nice vintage acoustic vibe...

It's admittedly beyond your present budget at $1600 - Soundpure gets them every so often, or they could order one for you - but IMO you'll have a guitar that you won't be replacing a year or two down the line...

Okay thanks.
I should have mentioned I’m in Australia so some guitars are hard to find here or become disproportionately expensive.

$800 USD or $1000-1200 AUD has to be about max budget unfortunately.
Given the low budget is there anything remotely close or none I should consider at all?

The Loar I found for $800 USD
A Godin can be a possibility if I bought it when I visit Canada otherwise they are double the price here. But if I can’t swing it on this trip then it would be out.

Ibenez master built series I can get for $1k but it didn’t really grab me.
I think I could get a Cort or Gretch New Yorker for around 1k....