View Single Post
Old 01-09-2022, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

Oh, I went and read the text around that image you posted - I was missing a key aspect. They're suggesting that you swap the wiring on one of the mics, combine them together and send them to the same channel. That basically creates a figure-8 mic. So this is just a way to create an MS setup if you don't have a figure-8 mic, but do have 3 cardioid mics, with 2 of them reasonably matched.

UPDATE: tried it, and sure enough it works. It's basically identical to MS, tho a lot more work with a 3 mic setup, and then either a custom cable and and some routing to get both mics in 1 channel, or recording to 3 tracks and setting up the routing to phase reverse and blend before sending to MS decoding, as well as getting all levels set appropriately. Here's a short noodle, first with real figure-8 MS using a Brauner VM1 as the mid mic and the Scheops MK8 as the figure-8, followed by the faked figure-8, Brauner as mid, 2 Schoeps MK41s facing each other (and then one phase reversed, mixed to mono, then sent to the MS Decoder along with the Brauner mid mic). Pretty hard to tell apart, and I'd say any differences are due to mismatched levels between the MK41s and MK8 and/or slightly different mic placement.

Interesting....

Last edited by Doug Young; 01-09-2022 at 02:57 AM.