View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
OK, so I have started to delve into finger picking and I can't decide which method is better....anchoring the pinky or resting the heel of the palm near the bridge or as a third option, not anchoring at all. They all seem to have pros and cons, but I feel like I need to pick one or I am impeding my progress.

When I use the pinky anchor, my finger tips get a nice straight on attack on the strings, but my ring finger has trouble picking the high E string due to my pinky kind of being in the way.

When I use the palm resting on the bridge method, my picking seems to be easier and flow better, but I have a weird angle now of attacking the strings with my fingertips that doesn't get a nice full sound like the pinky anchor method does. This is because you fingers are now slightly angled dues to you palm resting on the bridge.

When I don't anchor at all, I get a nice sound with a nice straight on attack of the strings and I don't have issues with the high E string like I mentioned above, but I feel like I am not as smooth and flowing as I am with the other two methods. With practice maybe I could get there?

So do I pick one and stick with it or keep messing around until one method organically chooses itself? Thanks
You're obviously freer if you can do it with no anchoring.
The bridge position is not really for anchoring the hand, it's for applying damping to the bass (for Travis style) - although a lot of players rest the whole forearm on the top of the guitar. The problem with the angle of the thumb in that position is solved (for many, not all) by using a thumbpick.

Personally I don't think you'd be impeding your progress if you keep all the options open. You might well be impeding it by choosing one and sticking with it. I suggest trying different positions for each tune you learn, see which feels most comfortable and efficient; it may be different for different tunes. As you progress, you may well find yourself gravitating to a favourite.

I never anchor with the pinky myself, but I use two main positions, depending on the style I'm playing: for classical or a more "open" sounding folk style I use a free hand, much like classical position; and palm on the bridge (or very near it) for a punchier blues or ragtime style. (I use thumbnail and fingernails, not fingertips.)

Some other comments on anchoring in this current thread:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=512658