View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazump View Post
Nice work, Bob! I'm new to fingerstyle too, and what a journey! It is so much more rewarding to me than strumming. I love being able to come back to a song after a lot of practice to find how much I've improved over night, and it sounds like you've probably got the same feeling with how good your stuff sounds!
Thanks nazump! I find it very intimidating to post on Show and Tell at my skill level, but it has been a big help to me. Several members have reached out with encouragement on the forum and via private message, and that is quite a boost!

I've read some of your posts and it seems like we are on the same track. My advice is to do whatever it takes to keep your enthusiasm up. For me it was starting a weekly private lesson about 7 months into finger picking. I had plateaued out and needed better technical skills to advance any further. So it has been 6 months of exercises--scales, slurs, arpeggios, etc. I'm now at just over 13 months and it is starting to feel somewhat natural. I'm a slow learner, and when I get discouraged I try to remember how long it took me to learn how to strum some basic tunes many years ago, and then sing along in time. Many years! So a year is really a blink of an eye in my calculations!

Best of luck to you!