View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

And this is why and explains why the 5 K retina iMac looks so good (Note he does video and photo and throws around some terms I am unfamiliar with. but starting about 1/2 way through starts making some good points if accurate (I think )
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

Even with a budget limit, consider two monitors. Yes, things like mixer and other windows can float inside one screen, but two cheap old-school regular HD monitors work well and may come inside your budget. Particularly if you want to have a screen as a "level monitor" -- it may be nice if it's separate screen. You'll probably drive one monitor off a USB C port on your Studio and the other off the HDMI. You don't need a USB C monitor for the 2nd. USB to DVI or display port adapters are available.

My studio space Mac (where I prefer to record live and where I record with others) has two older, cheap and cheerful regular HD monitors. I'll usually run the mixer on one screen and the track view on the other. Sometimes I'll set a track view screen so my keyboard player can see it and is able to see where they are in the tune visually as well as by ear.

On my editing and mastering and "in the box" "Studio B space (little bedroom home office) I have two as well. One is an old HP 1920x1200 monitor I've used for a decade or so and the 2nd screen a cheaper higher resolution screen one step down from 4K QHD.
Hope any of this helps.
Yes, both of you offer great information...and also Scare me a bit! ha ha....This whole compatibility thing drives me crazy! I am already worried about getting my programs up and running on the new computer.

But some relatively good news. So I went to Best Buy and asked to speak to their most knowledgeable person on compatibility of monitors with Mac. What I got was a very young person whom was not familiar with the problems listed in the video, but is a quick learner-researcher. he spent oddles of time with me and We watched through the video at the store together.

Here is what he believes:
He believes that the problem he is having is mostly due to using a 13 inch mac book M1. He says that when you are relaying to a bigger screen, the program is still set for the Mac's smaller screen. Thus it is using the a program that was made to maximize the screen quality of the 13inch. Plus he believes the ram on that particular unit is small and thus this is another reason why he was having problems.

He further stated that he does not believe the Mac Studio would operate in this matter since it does not come with a screen. He does not think I would have a problem with any monitor I choose. ( I will further research this at the apple store )

However, is was all thumbs up for Frank's Suggestion to purchase a QHD...which I learned stands for
"Quality High Definition QHD is specified as 2560x1440 pixels at a16x9 aspect ratio, four times that of 720p standard high definition."

QHD would not be good for gaming as the refresh rate is much lower...but the viewing quality is good. Since I will not be watching television or gaming on it...this might be a good solution for myself.

If I get into video production later...well then I can always buy a 4k set.

I have lots more research to do...and still welcoming suggestions & further thoughts and discussions.