View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I just prefer a more full-bodied sound than I hear in the Bix & Alix. I
prefer the sunnaudio Stage or DI-2, GMF Ai TubePro.

I looked up the quirk in the Bix manual....I quote under 7.1 in the manual:

If your pickup is one that requires a lower input impedance (aka K&K),
don't fret, your Bix has you covered. By wiring your input cable with a TRS
connector and shorting the tip and ring (see diagram p 6) the instrument
input impedance becomes 1M Ohm).

I am not sure what all that means, but since you mentioned K&K, I thought
I would point it out to you. It was kind of a turn off/red flag to me using the Bix
with a number of different pickups.

Good luck.
Have you actually owned an Alix? Because I have used my Alix right next to tube and solid state preamps far better than either the Sunn Audio or GMF tube pre pedals (Neve 1073, Neve Portico Manley Voxbox, Universal Audio LA-610, Sebatron VMP4000, Drawmer 1960) and I heard no more full sound, and neither of the preamps can hang with the eq and routing flexibility of the Alix. I have used my Alix and Felix in my studio for other instruments too, and I'm constantly amazed at how well they perform, and I've experimented with using some very high end rack tube preamps, and I have two friends that custom build tube preamps, and none of them has bested the Alix yet.

Also Chipolte posted that the preamp section of the Bix is the same as the Alix, not true, the Alix is AC powered and I feel it's has more headroom. Although a nice basic preamp, I personally don't think the Bix is in the same league as the Alix or Felix. And IMO the EQ section alone is worth the price of the Alix (and Felix, if you need two channels).

Last edited by rockabilly69; 07-22-2022 at 10:05 AM.