View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I've not read FretBoard Logic, but I did spend a few years of intense guitar study at North Texas State University (now UNT) when I was younger.

If I was going to attempt to learn from a book such as FretBoard logic, I think I'd take the following approach...

1. Read the entire book to get an idea of where it will ultimately take you and to get an idea of the steps along that path.

2. Map out a study/practice regime. How much time can you schedule in your life to devote to learning the material in the book (e.g. 1/2 a day). Then start adhering to that schedule.

3. Realize that it may take a substantial amount of time to master the entire book. I usually have a goal or two on guitar that I know will take 1 - 5 years (e.g. creating a really nice vibrato, changing right hand flatpicking technique, learning all the 7th chord arpeggios, etc.). The time is going to go by regardless of whether or not we're working on long term goals - why not meet the future with some accomplishment under our belts.

4. Most important of all - apply what you are learning into your playing. If you learn one new chord voicing, try using it in a song you know. If you learn a new scale pattern, try doodling in it when improvising over a tune.

Remember the main goal for us all should be to make music - not learn the fretboard. Learning the fretboard is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. I've seen guys get sidetracked in the theory/fretboard world and neglect spending time learning SONGS. No one is going to pay a cover charge to go to a venue and hear us play scales and chord voicings - they're gonna want to hear SONGS. I try to spend 80% of my time learning SONGS and 20% studying theory/fretboard.

Have fun! I've been studying theory/fretboard pretty seriously since the late 1970s and feel like I'm just starting to scratch the surface!
Wow, some serious stuff here. I went to your site and was impressed with the demo's.

I so agree with the explanation of what a player wants to get out of music for his own enjoyment and also what an audience would ant to listen to when a guy plays.

Some pretty heavy stuff here. I admire your obvious skills earned by way of some serious effort, as many pro's on this site have shown too.

Thanks. I'm a rank beginner by comparison but it's always a lesson in humility listening to what you guys can do and knowing what you did to get there! Nice!!

Your post makes it obvious how deep this music stuff can be. The bit about keeping songs in the forefront to keep your interest up hits home. Study always gets boring unless you apply it to what it all means...songs!!

Man, some of you guys are amazing...and I know it didn't come via a book under your pillow.

Jeremy.