View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I have a BlackBird El Capitan that I like a lot and haven't tried the savoy although have to admit it is tempting

The neck is definitely more of a D shape my calipers put it at .87" at first fret 1.13 at the 12th although that is measure squeezing the strings down so actual is going to be a little less. I had worries about the neck when I picked it up (used) as I also don't like fat necks. However it seems to play much more like a slimmer neck than it is at least to my hands.

The neck on my x7 is definitely slimmer (stock nylon profile) @.83 and .925 respectively as well as being more c and wider due to nylon.

I will have to say even though the Blackbird has a bit of a bevel in the back the ergos are definitely not a match to the Emerald or my Edwinson jumbo that has front and back bevels. No worse than a non bevel wood instrument though and maybe slightly better given that the El Capitan is a very big guitar. I would say the Blackbird is well worth checking out. Also it to me doesn't have the flash and high value look that the emerald does although it is still a nice looking guitar and I believe the savoy is going to end up being a more expensive guitar than the Emerald.

I also don't think it has quite the strength that the carbon instruments do for impact resistance however still definitely has the environmental robustness.