View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 05:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
So I picked up the guitar a few months ago as an adult. My first teacher used Hal's book but I found sight reading for the guitar too difficult (even though I do it for the piano) so I found another teacher who uses tabs.

The new teacher is going to teach me 10 songs and then I'll start playing scales. I like different genres of music (classical, rock, pop, Latin American) and we've done a few songs already (Aranjuez, Minuet in C, Nonsuch, the beginnings of Wish You were here and Stairway to Heaven) and I still practice them all.

However it seems to me if I want to get good at it, and also to make it more exciting, I need to have a repertoire of riffs, chords and simple songs at my disposal and go through them as much as I can. This way practice will be more exciting and less boring
and I'll learn more too.

What do you think? If you agree then what book or other resource do you recommend?
Rez,
I think that playing the guitar, even as a beginner, should be exciting without a teacher.

You play piano already, so you possess a modicum of musicality. You must picture yourself playing guitar or you wouldn’t have gotten one.

I would ditch the lessons, but find bits and pieces on your own on the fingerboard. It will pay big dividends in the long run.

If you can find a ‘teacher’ who’s willing to show you stuff that YOU find exciting when you hear it, THAT will scratch your itch.

My guess is that the ‘adult’ in you wants organization, but the kid in you wants to rock & roll.

Just do it.

For what it’s worth, I’m self taught, dyslexic and ADD, and a pretty fair player & composer.

Best,
Howard Emerson