View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
So I picked up the guitar a few months ago as an adult. My first teacher used Hal's book but I found sight reading for the guitar too difficult (even though I do it for the piano) so I found another teacher who uses tabs.

The new teacher is going to teach me 10 songs and then I'll start playing scales. I like different genres of music (classical, rock, pop, Latin American) and we've done a few songs already (Aranjuez, Minuet in C, Nonsuch, the beginnings of Wish You were here and Stairway to Heaven) and I still practice them all.

However it seems to me if I want to get good at it, and also to make it more exciting, I need to have a repertoire of riffs, chords and simple songs at my disposal and go through them as much as I can. This way practice will be more exciting and less boring
and I'll learn more too.

What do you think? If you agree then what book or other resource do you recommend?
Well, it depends on what you find "exciting". For me personally, that rules out scales.
And your proposed "repertoire of riffs, chords and simple songs" is a good idea, but obviously depends on your personal tastes.

Why not choose some favourites and suggest them to your teacher? Otherwise, you can search for info online (tabs, chords, lessons) for any tune you want to learn. You could start that way, and then ask your teacher about them. Obviously he/she will have a good idea about how easy (or not) those tunes are for your current skills, and will give you the best guidance on how to approach them.

What we might be able to help with here is opening your ears to other artists. E.g., if you like player (a), we could suggest players (b) or (c) that might have influenced (a) but that you might not have heard of. I.e., it's about starting from where you are (skills and taste-wise) and beginning to open out from there.