Thread: Selmer Build
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 07:50 AM

Those are called linings (the inside strips that help glue top and back). There's all kinds of theories on linings. Solid versus kerfed verses reverse kerfed. Triangle shape, tentalones etc... etc...

Solid (laminated) is traditional on a Selmer as was with classical guitars and since Maccaferri was a classical guitarist that is probably why he stuck with that tradition.

I bought my laminated sides from Michael Collins and he provided the linings as well. It was a very convenient service and the price was very reasonable. I don't think however that he does that any more and of course it would cost you a fortune in postal fee.

Bogdanovich wrote a book on classical guitar building and shows how to laminate sides. It's not terribly hard to do but takes special jigs and time. Bending solid sides is probably easier. But basically you make a solid mold of the sides and a clamping caul that is flexible and you clamp up the ply's to the mold to make the sides.

The side wood I used was mahogany and rosewood. The inside of the guitar is mahogany and the outside rosewood. And that was for back and sides. But you can use anything you want. Popular is well suited for the job imo.