View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Just ordered a custom built guitar.

A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of playing an incredible instrument owned by one of the other instructors at a guitar camp where we were both teaching. Taking a look at the headstock of this remarkable copy of a 1935 Gibson Jumbo, I wasn't surprised, as I had been hearing of this builder for a few years now.

Then a couple of weeks ago another one of that builder's guitars shows up at a workshop I was doing in Vermont. Although it was a 12 fret parlor, it had a wonderful, marvelous projection and a superb tone.

So I finally called the builder - who is just one guy who produces only about 30 to 40 guitars a year - and we nailed down the order. Turns out he's heard of me as well, was always meaning to get in touch with me, and is very much acquainted with my music - which made it pretty easy to specify the model which would fit my style of playing. You can be sure that once this guitar is in my hands, I'll be a strong and loyal endorser.

Of course, you're probably wondering who this builder is. Well, my mischievous inner child is going to keep you guessing on that one. Suffice to say the builder has quite a reputation, and deservedly so. You can bet I'll be sending along pictures of the guitars progress. Unlike Wayne Henderson, this isn't going to take 10 years, just one.