View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 05:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I struggle fingerpicking on my archtop - it's spec'd at 1 3/4 but certainly doesn't feel like my flatop with the same spec. I'd love one with a nut width like that. I don't supposed these come cheap.....
The sooner people start looking at a neck as if it were a waistline, the better.

1 & 3/4" is a linear spec of one thing: Nut width. Period.

It doesn't take into consideration the string spacing, how the fret ends have been finished (which can ABSOLUTELY affect possible string spacing adjustment), the circumference of the neck, the profile of that circumference, the depth from the fret tops to the back of the neck, neck width at 12th fret, etc, etc.

If you're having trouble with your plucking hand, you can easily widen the string spacing by regrinding the bridge top, and reslotting, but of course the prior considerations have to be met.

Also: Do you sit or stand when you play? That will affect the centerline of how the neck meets your fretting hand.

Oh, and as far as John's instrument go, they start around 25K, but you can find plenty of builders who build to spec for a whole lot less.

HE