View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
Avoid that guitar with the damage. The cracks near the bridge are scary sounding. This guitar could easily be more trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't recommend a present being made of damaged goods, and I know your heart is in the right place here. You have better options.

Someone already mentioned the Yamahas. Those are very popular low-priced models. They have laminate tops but they are not junk.

Your other excellent option is a Breedlove c250. These are $299 new and if you go to GC you should have no trouble getting it for $250. It's a FANTASTIC guitar made well and sounds very good.

So yeah, avoid the Tanglewood and consider a Breedlove or Yamaha. In my personal opinion these are the very best options I've played under $400.
I would avoid the Tanglewood.
Consider the Breedlove mentioned above,
And there are a plethora of good Yamahas that are reasonably priced.
If you're going with a used guitar a used Seagull can be had right around your price point.
And, like a few have said...let him pick his own instrument.
Arrange it with the salesman, to set out the ones that meet the price point, and take him out and don't tell him where you're going. Then take him to the shop and "turn him loose to choose.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45