Thread: Miss you Stan!
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 09:50 AM

Almost 25 years ago I stopped at the shop on my way to NYC for a couple days of meetings. Everyone was totally gracious and, for those that had been there and know, nothing was off limits. I played dozens of guitars with total abandon. Kept coming back to a new Martin HD 28vs.

Told my wife about the visit and this particular guitar. She called Stan, they talked Penn State football (both alumni and both fans) for a while. She described my visit and the guitar I gushed over. Stan remembered me, remembered the guitar and several months later it was a loving and thoughtful Christmas gift from my wife, all because of Stan.

The best advice I ever got about guitar was from Stan. The first time I planned on restringing this (it’s a slothead) I called Stan and asked him what tips he could give me on stringing a slothead without buggering up the slots and the headstock. He said, and I quote, “Just string it. It’s a guitar...it’s meant to be played.” Still have it today, still play it (as I did last night) and still play it out on the rare occasion I play out. Truly a keeper.

He was a great gentleman, so knowledgeable, and really cared about his customers. It speaks volumes that his family could not sustain the business after his passing. He WAS Mandolin Brothers.