View Single Post
Old 08-22-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Quote:
Did you find the tensions between Plectrum and Spectrum to be about the same?
No. I got the SB111 set and if you just look at the gauges of the wound strings they're all higher than the gauges in the AC111 set and I remember feeling that (and hearing it from the guitar sound). The situation is a bit more complex with the AC112 vs. the SB112 as the former has a huge low E so we'd have to compare the actual tensions.
These sets have a handy set of tables listing all specs of all weight variants. Turns out the Plectrum SB111 has considerably higher tensions than the Spectrum AC111 for the G, D, A strings; these are almost in the same league as their counterpart in the Spectrum 12s. But if you compare the 12s of both types, the Spectrums have a higher tension in fact. Even the Spectrum AC024 (G string) has a higher tension than the SB024 G string. Makes me wonder if the Spectrums could have a higher gauge core wire...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)