View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 10:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
From a tonal, build, or aesthetic point of view?
All three would be awesome!
An interesting question, for me, as it causes me to realize I only really judge my completed guitars on their efficacy as a music tool.

My build quality is pretty consistent where it counts, and the occasional less than perfect purfling miter is not a deal killer for me.

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder, as they sort of say. A lot of what looks great to me is the cut and quality of the materials from a technical point of view. For those who share my values, my instruments will typically rate very high, while for others they may appear austere. I do enjoy experimenting with unusual wood choices, but none of my more recent instruments are that. Certainly this Koa instrument is conservative by most standards.

What I mean by my high rating of this guitar is that it sounds and plays fantastic to me, fully resonant yet amazingly balanced and controlled with extraordinary volume. Many of my guitars take a few days to relax into their sweet spot, this one was stunning from its first note. What else is there that counts?