View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Hey everyone. I'm a late stage beginner (JustinGuitar.com), trying to get my strumming speed up to some beginner song videos I purchased. Bad Moon Rising is one of them, and is played at 180BPM.

I've been practicing using Justin's Strumming Techniques V1, which consists of 20 8th note strumming patterns.

I've gotten my speed up to between 130 and 140, depending on the exercise pattern, but my strumming falls apart badly above 140. I've been focusing on relaxing. have been stuck at this speed for a month and a half. I practice these strumming patterns for half an hour a day, 6 days a week.

Any helpful tips would be appreciated. (Or have I reached terminal velocity?)

Some other info:
Guitar: Blackbird lucky 13
I'm using a metronome for this practice
I use a Neck-up, so headstock is shoulder high
Pick: Blue Chip TPR.35
I'm a lefty playing RH
66 years old
I'm not familiar with the tutorial that you are using, so it may already emphasize this, but keeping the wrist limber is crucial to strumming rapidly without fatigue. For extremely fast tempos, someone once told me to think of putting out a lit match, which gives the wrist the necessary snap.

Stay with it. One month may seem like a long time to be practicing the same thing over and over, but this is a long journey, so relax and enjoy the ride.