View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejazzx View Post
Really superb Glenn
Much harder than it looks to pick and sing like that!
well done indeed

Steve
Hi Steve!

Thanks so much for your comments and for taking the time to watch! It's great to hear from you!

And you are right -- playing and singing this song and being accurate is much harder than it looks. It looks easy once a person gets both the singing and playing down, but it took me a few days of practice to get this close to where I would dare record this. In fact, this is one of those songs that appears to be deceptively easy, but in actuality, it's harder than it looks.

Years ago, when I was about 18 when I was just home from my first year at college, my dad asked me to play a few things for him. He commented then that I seemed to play much better when I was singing. More than fifty years later my wife has told me the same thing. It's finally dawning on me that maybe they are/were right.

At least I found that to be true with "Here Comes the Sun." When I started out in learning this song, I was playing it as an instrumental piece, getting used to all the shapes and finger picking and those cool licks that George Harrison came up with. But when I started singing with this piece, I had to change the rhythm particularly of the licks, because they really did not accurately fit into the rhythm of the sung version of the song or with the 4/4 time signature.

Also, I had to do a better job of developing the rhythm of the playing behind the singing to support the singing better.

So, singing the song tended to make me a better player, at least on this song, where the singing forced me to make sure I was playing the song structurally correct, if that makes any sense.

I'm so glad you commented on this piece, Steve. I admire you abilities on the guitar immensely and always enjoy your videos!

- Glenn