View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Nano 608i owner comments

After I had open heart surgery I had to find a lightweight portable PA after decades of using heavier component systems. When the Nano 608i came out I ordered one from Full Compass with the understanding that I could return it. I kept it.

IMO the designers of the Nano 608i talked with gigging musicians and came up with a great product. It covers all the bases. You can attach the speakers directly to the top of the sub and you've got something like a Schertler Jam 400 but less weight. With a single S Connect pole the system functions as a line array and the satellite speakers fire forward. If you use the stereo setup the satellites then fire forward and down. I recommend both the S Connect pole and the stereo kit so you can cover any shape room easily and effectively.

The iPad software has both a simple and an advanced interface. Simple works fine for me but if you want to tweak compression parameters and access graphic eq's then there's the advanced mode. You can save your setups for different venues, stream music during breaks, etc. Pairing with my small iPad Pro was simple and I've had no problems with the software app. It works well for me.

If your iPad battery dies you can run the system using the analogue mixer on the sub. You won't be able to access all the advanced features but you'll finish the gig without a hitch. Often I just run it from the onboard mixer. With one voice and an acoustic guitar it's easy to get a good mix with just the analog controls.

Have I mentioned sound? I'm picky about how my gear sounds and the 608i is clear, detailed, dynamic, and balanced. Soundwise the 608i rocks! The first thing I did when I set it up was stream some James Brown and turn up the volume. My furniture actually was bouncing up and down from the beat! No joke! Played at any volume the sound is warm and clear.

The only down side for me is there is cooling fan inside the sub/mixer unit. In a quiet room at home I hear the fan a wee bit more than I want to. But hey, this not a practice amp. For gigging I think a cooling fan is a great idea and no one including you will hear the fan when you are out there pickin' and grinnin'.

AND, although I mostly use a cart, I can carry the sub and satellites with one hand. I wish there had been gear like this 30 years ago when I gigged 5 nights a week and lived off it. Back then a Nano 608i would have made life a lot easier!

I'm glad I took a chance and tried the Nano 608i. I prefer the sound to the Bose and Fishman systems. Better dynamics and better bass for sure. The iPad app and the setup flexibility are superior to anything else I've heard or used. Of course your mileage may vary so I recommend you buy from someone who will allow you a trial period and let you return it in case you don't like it. You'll probably like it. Hope this info helps with your decision.

Whatever you buy, have fun and play lots of music!

-Al Acuff
1949 Gibson J45
1953 Gibson L4C
1963 Gibson LG1

Last edited by Al Acuff; 05-17-2017 at 07:16 AM.