View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
it might get used more like a bat or a paddle than a stringed instrument.
?? I know education isn't what it used to be (if the word even has meaning nowadays ) but really? It seems that if the boy likes to play together with his granddad he won't be banging the instrument.

Do I understand he already has a toy instrument (plastic or so)? If so, let that be the beater for when he's alone, and keep the better instrument for the together-sessions. He should be old enough to (start) understand(ing) that certain things need to be treated with a certain amount of delicacy.

On the other hand, if I reports are correct of my own early childhood I would most certainly have motivated much more by a small version of "the real thing" rather than by a "kid's version" with less strings. After all, if the extra 2 strings are indeed the bass E and A, you don't necessarily have to use them in the things you play together (or, you use only the low 4 strings), no?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)