View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I would start a four year old on a soprano sized ukulele, tuned GCEA (more likely gCEA with a high G string). This will fit their hands better and get them going. Nylon strings are good on tender young fingers, and small bodies are easy to wrap a shorter arm around. Four strings nsd shorter scale lengths are easier on developing brains too. The Makala brightly painted ukes with a dolphin bridge are about $40 and decent enough for the purpose, plus not too precious if something happens.

Later they can switch to a baritone uke, tuned DGBE, and play the same guitar chord shapes as you without those pesky bass strings. You could just start them there too for about $85, but the baritone is a little bigger and may not fit a four year old quite as well. At least then they could follow your chord shapes (as much as possible with only four strings). Again I suggest the basic Makala baritone. Don't waste money on bling, cutaways, or electronics.

www.boiseukulelegroup.com has all the instructional material you might need. I run that club.

Thanks I will look into this. I need to get him playing so he will let me play. I keep my Grandson 4 days a week and work 3 days a week so I’m not getting to play like I want to.

This will be a learning experience for me as well.

So the Makala ukulele are quality, playable and tunable instruments?