View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 09:13 PM

No offense taken at all. I appreciate the concern.
I have built 2 guitars before, an SG and a Strat. Both turned out very well ( to me and the ones that have played them any way) and I truly enjoyed it, but this will be my first acoustic. I am by no means bragging but I seem to do my best work when I am challenged but at the same time if something kicks my butt I have no problem admitting it either. If I need advice or help I don't mind nor am I ashamed to ask for it, that's why I'm on here.
If anyone needs info on Building Custom Cabinets or furniture I can answer almost any question some one has. BUT not on Guitars, That's why I ask the questions that I have.

I looked at the Stew Mac Kits and I started to go that way but being that I have plenty of wood I won't have but Very little money in a scratch build compared to what those kits would cost. Basically all I truly have to buy is a truss rod, and the tuners (which most kits don't include the tuners anyway).

I will probably end up getting a pre slotted Fret board simply because I would rather have a rosewood on an acoustic instead of a maple (which I could make) and will probably order a nut and saddle also ( which I could also make out of the pile of scrap Corian that I have left over from countertops that I have made and installed) I did make the nut for both of the electrics that I have built out of Corian and it has worked very well.
Any way I already have my sides, Back and top cut out. I'm going with the wood that I have on hand to save ALOT of money on, just in case of any mistakes I make (and I'm sure I will, which hopefully I will learn from).

I did change my mind again and decide to go with quarter sawn cherry instead of maple and I'm just gonna use the hemlock that I have for the top instead of buying spruce.
This is just to get my feet wet and learn from. Hopefully I will enjoy it even more than I think I will and not get in over my head, LOL.

Thanks again for the responses.