View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 06:56 PM

I could not afford $3-5000 for a class. I bought a kit from John Hall at Blues Creek, watched some of his videos, and bought Bill Corey's book:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guid...1-1&ref=sr_1_1

The only problem I ran across is trying to understand how to treat the upper bout to ensure that the neck is pointed correctly, but it came clear while doing it. I bought a more elaborate kit (purfling, fretboard binding, inlays) for my second one, and then with each successive one I did a couple of major steps on own - bend sides, make neck, cut frets, make kerfed lining, etc. After 4 I was scratch building.

I suggest a $500 kit instead of a week with a luthier. Probably take less than 60 hours to assemble (finishing is extra!) See what happens, then you will know if you need the complete formal education.

I made a radius beam out of a scrap 2X4 instead of a dish, and am still using it 8 later. I have a cabinetmaker in town who puts all the wood I need for an instrument through his enormous surface sander for $20 - takes 20 minutes.
All you need are small plane, a couple of chisels, a couple of files, some measuring tools, and a lot of clamps, some specialized.

Ask around on this and other forums - there are home building luthiers everywhere and they would love to talk to you (I'm in Maryland)