View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 07:46 AM

Default Overholtzer flat build

I am a (very) amateur player and builder and some time ago I built my first guitar using the information from Art Overholtzer's book. It has cheap maple back and sides and a cheap European spruce top.
I experienced a number of problems (including neck back bow) and the result is definitely not a work of art, however the sound is quite good, having strong fat trebles and a tight balanced bass. It has also remained stable with no signs of a sunken top which apparently can be attributed to a flat top build. However it has not left it's birth place so that may help.
I have also built a Torres style guitar with a domed top and the sound is good but different to the Overholtzer flat build.
I am considering having another go at an Overholtzer style with a view to making (hopefully) a better version as I quite like the sound from my first attempt.
This leads me to the real point of my post and that is to say I believe that the cantilever struts were designed (I presumed it was Overholtzer's original design) to withstand the pull of the strings and prevent a sunken top, although Overholtzer does not mention this in his book. They also may have an effect on the sound producing the strong trebles I have mentioned, a bit like the Bouchet bar.
It may be that Art Overholtzer hit on a effective flat top classical guitar design that overcame the usual problems associated with this way of building, the only downside being the increased neck angle and/or sloping of fretboard. I would be interested to know if anyone here has views on this subject.