View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Hi Matt,

I received my T30HGc about a month ago (for the gloss finish and other relatively minor upgrades, eg. the ebony tuner buttons, the bevel, etc., not because I expected it to sound any different). I had prior experience with an all-mahogany Martin J12-15 (which I loved) so I really didn't sweat the mahogany top, but I have no experience with a spruce-top harp guitar so take this with a grain or two of salt.

Consider the SIZE of that top! It's NOT quiet, nor does it lack dynamic range. The bass is LOUD and it just blooms. I did find it a bit "crisp" right out of the box so "warmed" it up by restringing with EXP phosphor-bronze strings (replacing the 80/20 set it ships with), and since I'm a DADGAD player, I restrung with mediums on the down-tuned strings and also re-strung for a sub-bass tuning of GABCEG tuning (modified Bennett subs as per a recommendation from Frank Doucette).

They are, frankly, as good as you've heard in videos. Check out the T30HGc demo by Scot Ryder...this is pretty close to what mine sounds like (with Scot playing it, maybe, and a little less reverb!). Like Scot I play with a variety of partial capos so this video really sold me on investing in this new venture. It's a whole new world, and I'm just beginning to explore!

FYI, I've got 6 Rees Harps sharping levers incoming so my next trick will be making some pretty major additions to that sub-bass head...! More on that journey will follow...

Phil
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your detailed response. Glad to hear your Timberline is loud and responsive. I dabble in DADGAD, and I'd love to play a harp guitar in it.