View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Default Purfling and Rosette

I have been thinking a lot lately about the top purfling and rosette on my OM. When Steve and I worked out the woods for the tree-of-life and torch inlays I was up on using something with some green in it and there are not many species out there that are naturally green. Lignum Vitae is one of them. I searched and found a choice piece and acquired it. But as we discussed the inlays, Steve made me aware that Lignum Vitae, without finish, will change color over time to a deep rust color so we decided not to use it for the inlays. But the more I think about the purfling and rosette, the more I think this Lignum Vitae may be just the ticket.

In the photos below I have marked the cross grain areas I think may be awesome as purfling. The wavy area, just above the knot in the first photo could make for an interesting cross grain rosette. Under finish there is far less chance of significant color change over time and even if it did the reds and browns would match our MadRose fairly well.

Just for fun I thought I would throw it out there for some AGF opinions. What do you think? In person, the Lignum Vitae is more green than it appears in these photos.