Thread: Practice Guitar
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidfieldGeneral View Post
The Martin is lovely and ticks alll the boxes. I live in Switzerland and I am concerned about keeping it out the whole time and subjecting it to the dry air. Also I sold the others because I have improved a lot and I know exactly what I am looking for from a guitar.
I understand this as I live in a tropical rainforest. I have a Lowden and a Rainsong. I keep my Rainsong out all the time and bring it everywhere with me. It's nice to have a guitar that you don't have to worry about, but it's not necessary.

I think us guitar players worry more than we should. I never had any problems with humidity or dry climate issues with my Lowden. All I do is just put it back in it's case when I'm done for the day. I used to travel back and forth Canada/Philippines, and live in both countries so my Lowden had experienced both extremes in the 10+ years that I've had it. I've even gone a few months during winter without humidfying my Lowden. It was just in it's case (I have a Calton).

Before I got my Rainsong, I've always flown with my Lowden to and from between the two countries. When I get home, I don't even bother letting it acclimate to the new weather. I just open it up, re tune it and play.

So if you're thinking about buying a practice guitar for the sake of protecting your other guitar, I honestly think you'll be fine with your Martin. You'll get to know your main instrument better. I would say the same for me looking back.

However, if you really do want and need a beater guitar then I would highly suggest carbon fiber. It really all comes down to what you think you really need.

Last edited by hatamoto; 01-26-2021 at 11:26 PM.