View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Put a big smile on my face, Glenn! Great playing and singing as always, and I love the artwork. Are you playing drums as well? Great rendition of this classic!
Hi Larry,

Wonderful to hear from you!

The artwork came off the Internet. I did a search of psychodelic artwork in the public domain and found some photos. The first background picture is actually a photo of a virus!!! I'm not sure which virus it is, but I thought the photo was stunningly beautiful!

I am not playing drums. I wish I were a decent drummer, but I am not. And even if I were, I don't have the space, the microphones, or the drums. My first try on this song I used Band In A Box and used it as a plugin for my DAW, which is Cubase. This gave me a quick way to see what a multi-track version of this song would sound like. At first I was pretty enthusiastic about this approach, but in the end, though, I was very unhappy with the sound of the "real" drums from Band in a Box. Also, the bass was nothing close to the original, so I was going to have to do that over, anyway.

So I scrapped that version and started over. I made my own drum track using ToonTrack's "Easy Drummer," which also works as a plugin in Cubase. The samples in Easy Drummer are really good, the result of years of work and recordings, and the program has tons of drum patterns and fills that can be edited that were played by real drummers. I found a pattern and a group of fills that worked very well and then put together the program for the song.

So, in a sense, the drums were played by a real drummer, just not me.

Thanks for listening and taking time to comment, Larry! I hope you are doing well and that your business is also humming along for you!

Take care!

- Glenn