View Single Post
Old 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Honestly, when I left the store I was questioning my recent purchase of a Martin D42 Modern Deluxe ($5k used price) but when I got home and played it, they really aren't the same. The D-42 MD has a similar EQ spectrum (strong bass) and volume (big dread sound) and sweetness of sound (attention paid during the voicing process) but the Martin has just a massive amount of overtones and lushness, that echoey complexity of rosewood and more of a bluegrassy quality to the notes somehow. I don't think I could rank the FG-9M as better than the D-42 MD or vice versa: both are amazing guitars but different experiences.
When I play the FG9 M back to back with the LJ56 the quality of sound is very different. What you wrote about the FG9 M sounds right to me. The LJ56 has less bass power but is more insistent elsewhere. It has a more pronounced individual tonal character: some notes and overtones being more emphasized or muted than the FG9 M. I imagine this is measurable with the FG9 M showing a smoother tap test response. I should do the test and share the graphs here.

I've a suspicion that the FG9 M might be rather fussy about strings.

On my LJ56 I like D'Addario EJ19 Bluegrass PB set (12-56) but those sound too metallic on the FG9 M. Even when I try to pluck for a round sonorous baritone sound I felt I was listening to too much steel and not enough wood.

Now I have Thomastik-Infeld AC112 Plectrum (12-59) Medium Light and I like them a lot more. The tension is a bit higher than EJ19 but they are easier to fret.