View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The other day I was going to record a tune I composed and I got setup in my computer room to record as my usual recording area was inconvenient to use. So I set up my mic baskets on my desktop mic stands and hooked up my AT2035 mics to my Focusrite. I started to record and upon playback I was treated to a very distorted recording. So I had my what the hey moment and instead of researching what was going on I simply used my Zoom H5 without mics.

Today I took the time to research and found that I'm not the only one to encounter this result when using AT2035 mics. The solution I found online was to simply unplug the usb from the Focusrite, wait a bit and then plug it back in.

Strange.
That is strange and I agree with the others it sounds like is an issue with the Focusrite ,

But first perhaps a bit more clarification on the specific sequence of events.

#1 Prior to moving to a different room you were using the same mics in your recording area with no distortion (yes ?)
#2 you used the same computer in both locations (yes?)
#3 You disconnected the USB cable to move (yes)
# 4 when you disconnected the USB cable both the computer and the Focusrite were shut down, power off ? (cold swap) or were one or both still powered on (hot swap)
# 5 you moved to new location reconnected the USB , powered up, recorded and then had distortion ?
#6 When you say on "playback" you heard the distortion, but when you were recording were you monitoring the the input and it was not distorted ?

Admittedly I have no experience with USB powered interfaces but it sounds to me like if you hot swapped (which you are supposed to be able to do with USB) with the computer still on , that may have triggered a glitch. Or as suggested it is a basic glitch in the Focusrite firmware, or both....
I looked online and the mics state Phantom power requirement of 11-52 volt
The Focusrite does not really list actual Phantom power output, but simply list the generic 48 v designation term which literally simply means it has phantom power, and does not really indicate a measured stable 48 volts hitting the mic

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-18-2019 at 09:04 AM.