View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
Okay, follow-up! The gig went amazingly well and I really ended up getting a great sound that many people commented on! I was set up with a brick wall behind me and to my left. cement floors throughout. Medium-size room with brick pillars throughout. High ceilings. Beautiful place, but a potential sound nightmare.

I ended up placing the QSC K10.2 about 6' high, to the left and slightly in front of me pointing out towards the room. When I started, I had my normal reverb on for vocals but the room had such a beautiful natural reverb I ended up just completely shutting the reverb down and letting the room do all the work. I sang through a Shure Beta 58 and ended up micing the guitar with a Shure SM86. I placed it pointing just behind my hand between the bridge and the sound hole. No problems at all with feedback or too boomy. I did dial out a lot of the bass and I believe mids at the mixer (I would have to go back and look) and then took out some of the lows on the vocals as well. I had a friend walk around the room before people got there and help me adjust levels and then he walked around as more people arrived to make sure nothing changed.

The room was REALLY loud with people talking, laughing, and having a good time, but I never had any problem with the mics picking up the noise or crowd noise drowning me out. At the end of the night the owner even commented about how good it sounded. He said when people usually came in there the sound was really dark and way too much reverb. I told him the reverb I had was nothing more than the beautiful sound of the room.

I have been looking at the ETL mics and they look really cool, but I am wondering as well about their sound in an extremely noisy environment like last night. In a listening room, studio, or small theater they are obviously perfect. I am still on the idea of a good large-diaphragm condenser for the acoustic. What are some other microphone ideas that you guys might have for situations like the one last night?
It sounds to me like you've found a good set up for gigs like this one. I wouldn't pour more money into it in the form of an expensive condenser because the sonic advantages, as I said earlier, won't be audible in that situation. Of course, if you have other uses for a nice mic--quiet, listening-room or small theater gigs, recording, etc.--that's a different story.

Louis